Piano lessons are one of the most popular types of music lessons. This legendary instrument is key to many of the most famous and important musical compositions: from Mozart to the latest Marvel soundtracks. We all have a piano melody that’s engraved in our minds, such as the infamous B, C, D, D, D, C, B, A, G from Harry Potter.
Do you want to learn to play the piano so that you can play your favourite songs or even compose your own? Then you should find a music tutor who can give you piano lessons. Nowadays, there are thousands of professionals offering lessons. To find out what kind of piano tutor is right for you, you should decide what kind of lessons you want:
- Music schools: This is one of the most common options. Many schools offer different classes according to age and instrument. Piano lessons are very popular, so you should have no trouble finding one close to home.
- Private piano tutors: A private piano tutor is ideal for you if you don't have a lot of free time, a large budget, or simply want your teacher to focus solely on you. Also, the advantages of private piano lessons are that you can choose between online classes or lessons at home.
How to learn piano from home
Although it may sound obvious, in order to have a piano lesson you need to have a piano. Many students worry because they don't have one at home and pianos are quite expensive. You can either use an electric keyboard as these tend to be cheaper than traditional pianos, or find a second hand piano or keyboard. Otherwise, you can take lessons at the tutor’s home or at a music school, however, without access to a piano outside of lessons it will be hard to practise.
If you want piano tuition at home, you have two options:
- Piano lessons at home: If you have a piano or keyboard at home, this may be the best option for you as you can learn to play the piano without leaving home. It’s also useful to be able to have lessons on your own piano as there can be differences between instruments.
- Online piano lessons: This used to be unthinkable, but in recent years, online lessons have been on the rise. There are now a wide range of online piano lessons available. The style of lesson may be slightly different, but the result should be the same.
What type of music can I play on the piano?
There are many musical genres you can play on the piano. If you are learning to play the piano, trying to play different music genres will improve your versatility and can help you learn new concepts. Here are some examples of genres that you play on the piano:
- Classical music: This is probably the first genre that comes to mind when you think of piano. Mozart, Beethoven and other great music composers have written many classical piano pieces that are still incredibly well known to this day.
- Jazz: Jazz is a genre that is best for advanced students. Improvisation and rhythm are two key elements of jazz. Although it may seem difficult, this genre of music is fun, not only for those who listen to it, but also for those who play it.
- Rock: Although piano may not seem to be a rock instrument like bass, drums and the guitar, the keyboard is used more than you think.
- Pop: If you look around, you'll quickly find piano adaptations of the most famous pop songs. Why not try playing some of them? When you lose motivation, the best thing to do is to try and play music you like and are familiar with. .
Tips for learning to play the piano
Learning to play the piano can be a long and difficult process that requires a lot of diligence and hard work. Here are some tips for learning to play the piano:
- Commitment: It is important not to miss lessons as commitment and perseverance are key to learning any instrument.
- Practice: Practice makes perfect, that's what they say. If you want to learn to play the piano, the more you practise, the better you will become.
- Don't rush: Start with basics. Even if your goal is to play a certain piece, make sure you start from the beginning and don’t rush. It’s important to build a foundation of knowledge at the beginning so that you can continue progressing.
- Solfège lesson:. Music theory is important for being able to understand music. If you want to take the ABRSM piano exams, then music theory is also important for passing these. Solfège will help you understand why you are playing certain notes and deduce the logic behind the music.