Biology lessons at school can inspire you to pursue a career in science and develop a better understanding of the world around us. Discover 6 reasons why you should study biology:
- Nature: As a biologist, you will be able to study different species of flora and fauna, either in a lab or out in the field.
- Multiple careers: Whether you want to be a microbiologist, neurobiologist, a science teacher or something else, there are plenty of branches of biology and jobs available.
- Find your calling: Working in something you are passionate about will provide a fulfilling and fruitful career. It will also improve your quality of life. As they say; “if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life.”
- Community: You will come into contact with like minded people in research projects, lectures and labs. Having a community in the biology field will help you enjoy your work further and inspire you to keep reaching new heights.
- Change your world view: The study of biology allows you to see the world in a whole different way and understand why and how things happen.
- Change the world: Biological research is always opening new doors and helping solve problems such as finding cures for diseases.
Should you find an in-person or online biology tutor?
This largely depends on your preferences and how you study best. If you prefer interacting with people directly or find that you study better in a classroom environment, finding tutors that teach either in their or your home is the best option for you. If, however, you are restricted by time or do not want to travel, online biology tutors are the best option for you. You can use the filter on the left to search for in-person or online biology tutors.
Benefits of having a biology tutor
Why hire a private tutor? This is one of the most frequently asked questions during the school year, especially when your child is doing badly at school or has low grades. Here are a few benefits of private tuition:
- Undivided attention: Private tutors can focus the entire class on your needs and academic goals, something that is impossible in a school or group environment.
- Improve your grades: For many, the pace at which biology lessons at school are set is too fast. A private tutor, on the other hand, can explain concepts at your pace. Making sure you understand every concept before moving on. This, along with the tutor’s expert knowledge of the school curriculum, will help you to improve your grade.
- Ask away: Some students may hesitate to ask questions in front of an entire classroom. In a private biology lesson, students can feel at ease and free to ask whatever they want without feeling like they are stopping the class or being afraid of looking stupid.
- Learn study techniques: A private tutor can assess the way you learn and identify study techniques that are best suited to you. This will improve your study skills not just for biology, but any school subject.
- Practice makes perfect: It’s hard to improve without practising outside of school, which is why a private biology tutor can help. Not only to provide supplementary lessons, but also to help you learn how to study on your own.
Types of private biology lessons
When choosing a biology tutor, it is important to take into account the types of classes each tutor offers. In other words, a biology tutor that specialises in primary school students will not have the same pace and content as a private tutor for university students. These are some characteristics to keep in mind when choosing a biology tutor:
- Primary and secondary school tutors: At this stage it is crucial to focus not only on the school curriculum but also to identify how the student learns in order to form study skills that will last throughout their academic career.
- GCSE biology tutors: This is one of the most challenging stages for high school students. These exams will determine what they can study at A Levels as well as the sixth form or college they can attend. Getting a tutor can be extremely beneficial for achieving the grade desired.
- A Level biology tutors: A Levels or the Scottish Highers is another crucial time for students as these grades will determine entry into university. These exams create a lot of pressure for students so it can be beneficial to hire a tutor to provide the support needed.
Biology tutors for university students: Many tutors who teach university students are current students or graduates. They have a fresh understanding of the skills and concepts needed to pass exams and excel.